On Monday morning, Second of May, 1808, large crowds had gathered in the Puerta del Sol and in front of the Royal Palace. Rumors abounded that the last of the Spanish Royal Family were about to be forced out by Napoleon’s soldiers. Suddenly knives were drawn and French blood was spilt by the angry mob. Marshal Murat ordered his forces to disperse the madrilenos. So started this uprising and the Spanish War of Independence, dramatically depicted in Goya’s “Dos & Tres de Mayo’ paintings now hanging in the Prado Museum.
We follow the route of the cursed Marmaluke’s and visit all the important places relating to this momentous event in Spanish history.
Also included is a guided tour of the newly opened, state of the arts, Municipal Museum which houses a magnificent massive diorama of Madrid in the early 19th century plus rare paintings of the period when Napoleon´s troops occupied the city.
We have refreshments at the nearby tavern, aptly named after King Joseph Bonaparte “Pepe Botella” his nickname given to him by the Spaniards for his love of wine!
125€ per person, minimum 2 people
110 € each additional
Family & group prices upon reques
The tour is 4 hours with 3 refreshment stops
All tours include
- Stops for drinks and tapas
- Membership in the Wellington Society of Madrid
Membership benefits include:
- Our nifty membership cards
- Help in arranging your travel through Spain
- Help line on the Chairman’s cell phone (+34 609 14 32 03), 8 am to midnight 7 days a week
- Recommended restaurants featuring specific regional foods such as paella, roast lamb, rabo del toro, and vegetarian cuisine in Madrid and in Central Spain.
- Expert advice on interesting Spanish wines to buy, generally unavailable outside the country.
Madrid Walking Tours
- The Morning Stroll
- Haunted Madid
- UPRISING! Madrid & The 2nd of May 1808
- Curiosities & Anecdotes of Old Madrid
- Old Madrid Underground
- Bloody Madrid-500 Years of Murder Most Foul
- The Hapsburgs Are Coming!
- George Borrow’s Madrid of 1836
- Hemingway’s Madrid
- Madrid During the Civil War
- Death In The Afternoon
- Discovering Spanish Wine
- Art History at the Prado, Modern Arts and Select Other Museums.
- Goya’s Madrid
- Bullfight Play by Play