A Singular Tapa Tour of the Capital´s Ancient Underground Cellars
When the Hapsburgs moved their capital from Toledo to Madrid in 1561, they embarked on a massive building project which included the impressive Plaza Mayor (officially opened in 1619). The labyrinth of underground cellars below led way over to the Alcazar and joined up with the 11th century Moorish cellars. Today many of these cellars are part of the taverns that we shall be visiting to explore and enjoy drinks and tapas.
We start this rather unique tour at the old Metro Gran Via which was initially opened in 1919, but closed in 1970. After 3 years of major restoration work the new station opened in July 2021, including a replica of the original entrance gate-way. Down on the 2nd floor is a museum display of some of the curious artifacts found during excavation dating back over 100 years. We then take the metro two stops to Opera, where we view at the remains of a 400 year old water and fountain system now carefully restored.
Our route explores explores ancient cellars now delightful restaurant room before continuing on through the old quarter exploring more of Madrid underground!
100 € per person, minimum 2 people
100 € each additional
Solo, family & group prices upon request.
All stops for drinks and tapas included.
Tours normally run from 11am – 2:30 and
meet at statue of Carlos III in Puerta del Sol
All tours include
- Stops for drinks and tapas
- Membership in the Wellington Society of Madrid
Membership benefits include:
- Our nifty membership cards
- Help in arranging your travel through Spain
- Help line on the Chairman’s cell phone (+34 609 14 32 03), 8 am to midnight 7 days a week
- Recommended restaurants featuring specific regional foods such as paella, roast lamb, rabo del toro, and vegetarian cuisine in Madrid and in Central Spain.
- Expert advice on interesting Spanish wines to buy, generally unavailable outside the country.
Madrid Walking Tours
- The Morning Stroll
- Haunted Madid
- UPRISING! Madrid & The 2nd of May 1808
- Curiosities & Anecdotes of Old Madrid
- Old Madrid Underground
- Bloody Madrid-500 Years of Murder Most Foul
- The Hapsburgs Are Coming!
- George Borrow’s Madrid of 1836
- Hemingway’s Madrid
- Madrid During the Civil War
- Death In The Afternoon
- Discovering Spanish Wine
- Art History at the Prado, Modern Arts and Select Other Museums.
- Goya’s Madrid
- Bullfight Play by Play