We start in the Puerta del Sol where there were scenes of jubilation in April 1931, when the Second Republic was declared and also in July 1936, when the Civil war broke out and thousands of militia paraded through here to show their solidarity with the elected government against the military revolt supported by Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy. The Community Hall here was also Franco’s notorious secret police headquarters after the war, 1939 onwards.
Our Civil War Tour
We start with a panoramic view of the Casa del Campo from the 9th floor of what used to be the Hotel Florida, and where Hemingway stayed in 1937 with other foreign correspondents stationed in Madrid during the Spanish Civil War.
Next, we visit the now peaceful West Park, site of intense fighting took place in late 1936, and where Franco’s Victory Arch was erected in the 1950s.
Then a walk along Paseo de Rosales which was the Republican front line and consequently heavily shelled by the Fascists.
We’ll also visit the monument to those who were massacred at the Montaña Barracks.
Our final stop is in the Plaza de Oriente facing the Royal Palace, where Franco greeted his Fascist followers every 18 July to celebrate his victory over the elected Government.
There will be 3 refreshment stops along the way. Tour lasts 4+ hrs
150 € per person, minimum 2 people
150 € each additional
Solo, family & group prices upon request
All tours include
- Stops for drinks and tapas
- Membership in the Wellington Society of Madrid
Membership benefits include:
- Our nifty membership cards
- Help in arranging your travel through Spain
- Help line on the Chairman’s cell phone (+34 609 14 32 03), 8 am to midnight 7 days a week
- Recommended restaurants featuring specific regional foods such as paella, roast lamb, rabo del toro, and vegetarian cuisine in Madrid and in Central Spain.
- Expert advice on interesting Spanish wines to buy, generally unavailable outside the country.
Madrid Walking Tours
- The Morning Stroll
- BOURBON DEBAUCHERY!
- Haunted Madid
- UPRISING! Madrid & The 2nd of May 1808
- Curiosities & Anecdotes of Old Madrid
- Old Madrid Underground
- Bloody Madrid-500 Years of Murder Most Foul
- The Hapsburgs Are Coming!
- George Borrow’s Madrid of 1836
- Hemingway’s Madrid
- Madrid During the Civil War
- Death In The Afternoon
- Discovering Spanish Wine
- Art History at the Prado, Modern Arts and Select Other Museums.
- Goya’s Madrid
- Bullfight Play by Play