We start in the Puerta del Sol where there were scenes of jubilation in April 1931, when the Second Republic was declared and also in July 1936, when the Civil war broke out and thousands of militia paraded through here to show their solidarity with the elected government against the military revolt supported by Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy. The Community Hall here was also Franco’s notorious secret police headquarters after the war, 1939 onwards.
Our Civil War Tour
This is a most singular route first along the Gran Via, nicknamed `Bomb Alley’ due to the Nationalist shelling and regular fascist bombing raids. We visit the Telephone Exchange where all foreign correspondents sent their articles about Madrid under siege. Drinks and panoramic view from the 9th floor of a department store, once the Hotel Florida where Hemingway and others stayed.
We visit the Republican front line in the West Park, Franco’s Victory arch and the site of the massacre at the Montaña Army barracks.
There will be 3 refreshment stops along the way. Tour lasts 4hrs.
125 € per person, minimum 2 people
125 € each additional
Solo, family & group prices upon request
All tours include
- Stops for drinks and tapas
- Membership in the Wellington Society of Madrid
Membership benefits include:
- Our nifty membership cards
- Help in arranging your travel through Spain
- Help line on the Chairman’s cell phone (+34 609 14 32 03), 8 am to midnight 7 days a week
- Recommended restaurants featuring specific regional foods such as paella, roast lamb, rabo del toro, and vegetarian cuisine in Madrid and in Central Spain.
- Expert advice on interesting Spanish wines to buy, generally unavailable outside the country.
Madrid Walking Tours
- The Morning Stroll
- Haunted Madid
- UPRISING! Madrid & The 2nd of May 1808
- Curiosities & Anecdotes of Old Madrid
- Old Madrid Underground
- Bloody Madrid-500 Years of Murder Most Foul
- The Hapsburgs Are Coming!
- George Borrow’s Madrid of 1836
- Hemingway’s Madrid
- Madrid During the Civil War
- Death In The Afternoon
- Discovering Spanish Wine
- Art History at the Prado, Modern Arts and Select Other Museums.
- Goya’s Madrid
- Bullfight Play by Play