But don’t worry, they go away……eventually….
Witty tales of the Hapsburgs, inquisition, spirits, inbreeding and bewitched monarchs.
The Hapsburg’s ruled Spain for 200 years and, in 1561, moved their capital from Toledo to Madrid. Our tour is certainly a singular one with tales of inquisitions held in the great Plaza Mayor, a visit to a spirit ridden 17th century wine cellars and then tapas stops in the Austrias of the Old Quarter.
As we pass by the numerous statues we hear of many a curious anecdote of their continual inbreeding and one when uncle marries his own niece so be prepared! Of the five Spanish Hapsburg monarchs it was dryly observed that Charles I was a warrior king, Philip II just a king, Philip III & Philip IV mere men and the last, Charles II (known as Charles the Bewitched), not even that!
95 € per person, minimum 2 people
95 € each additional
Family & group prices upon request.
All tours include
- Stops for drinks and tapas
- Membership in the Wellington Society of Madrid
Membership benefits include:
- Our nifty membership cards
- Help in arranging your travel through Spain
- Help line on the Chairman’s cell phone (+34 609 14 32 03), 8 am to midnight 7 days a week
- Recommended restaurants featuring specific regional foods such as paella, roast lamb, rabo del toro, and vegetarian cuisine in Madrid and in Central Spain.
- Expert advice on interesting Spanish wines to buy, generally unavailable outside the country.
Madrid Walking Tours
The Morning Stroll
UPRISING! Madrid & The 2nd of May 1808
Curiosities & Anecdotes of Old Madrid
Old Madrid Underground
Bloody Madrid-500 Years of Murder Most Foul
The Hapsburgs Are Coming!
George Borrow’s Madrid of 1836