This is our very adventurous tour of one of Spain’s most famous painters, Francisco de Goya.
We start with a visit to the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando, close to Puerta del Sol where Goya received his degree in 1780. This fine 18th century building houses Goya’s original etching plates from his series Caprichos; his condemnation of the universal folly and foolishness in Spanish society. It also includes his Disasters of War depicting the horrors inflicted on the nation during Napoleon’s invasion in 1808.
On the second floor there are paintings from his earlier work; portraits of his liberal minded friends and a daring one of the Queen’s favourite and lover, the odious Manuel Godoy, Prince of the Peace and Supreme Commander of the Spanish Army.
After refreshments at the fashionable Café de Oriente facing the Royal palace, we take a taxi down to the river and the Chapel of San Antonio de la Florida. Goya painted the interior dome in 1798, which depicts a a murdered man being brought back from the dead by Saint Antonio to tell him who his murderer was amongst the crowd of onlookers. Don’t worry, all will be revealed!
Goya died in exile in Bordeaux in 1828, and in 1919 his remains were finally returned to Spain and buried here in front of the high-alter.
125 € per person maximum 2
Price includes all museum entrance, refreshments and transport.
Lunch at Casa Mingo next door to the Chapel, famous for roast chicken on the spit.`
Family and Single traveler pricing on request.
All tours include
- Stops for drinks and tapas
- Membership in the Wellington Society of Madrid
Membership benefits include:
- Our nifty membership cards
- Help in arranging your travel through Spain
- Help line on the Chairman’s cell phone (+34 609 14 32 03), 8 am to midnight 7 days a week
- Recommended restaurants featuring specific regional foods such as paella, roast lamb, rabo del toro, and vegetarian cuisine in Madrid and in Central Spain.
- Expert advice on interesting Spanish wines to buy, generally unavailable outside the country.
Madrid Walking Tours
- The Morning Stroll
- Haunted Madid
- UPRISING! Madrid & The 2nd of May 1808
- Curiosities & Anecdotes of Old Madrid
- Old Madrid Underground
- Bloody Madrid-500 Years of Murder Most Foul
- The Hapsburgs Are Coming!
- George Borrow’s Madrid of 1836
- Hemingway’s Madrid
- Madrid During the Civil War
- Death In The Afternoon
- Discovering Spanish Wine
- Art History at the Prado, Modern Arts and Select Other Museums.
- Goya’s Madrid
- Bullfight Play by Play